November 16th, 2018
Hello everybody! I’m Stephanie Hamilton, for those who don’t know me I am the Media & Marketing Specialist with My School Dance. We’ve talked a lot about having a Winter Formal dance, but I wanted to give you all insight on how to plan the perfect Winter Formal dance!
Planning any type of dance isn’t easy at all. But planning a formal dance such as Turnabout or Prom is even more work. That’s why I’m here to help! Trust me, I’ve been through this multiple times. When I was in high school, I was always on the dance planning committees, staying after school to decorate, and even staying after the dance to help clean up. Dedication, I know.
The cool thing now is there’s this awesome platform that schools can use to not only plan, but also manage their dances and events! It’s called My School Dance! I swear, I wish I had this in high school cause it could’ve solved so much unnecessary stress and given us back so much time. Even though I had to go through the horror of the traditional way to dance planning, I will gladly fill you in on tips for when you plan yours.
- Planning Committee–Dances are different at every school, so however your school does it you want to make sure you have some group of people that are committed to making the dance happen. For example, you can have a select group of teachers that volunteer their time to plan the dance, a group of students such as the Student Council which is great because then you’re getting the student’s voices heard, or a mixture of both faculty and students. It’s great to have multiple voices in the group so you can get different opinions and ideas.
- Secure The Big Stuff–This is going to be the most important part to planning your school’s dance. You’ll need to sit down with your committee and figure out the perfect date for your dance. Make sure it’s not on the night of a big game or a school play. Plan this out early on in the school year so you have more options rather than last minute. The next thing to do would be figuring out your venue. Where would be the best place to host this dance? Some schools have it at their school in the cafeteria or gym. Some schools even host it at a venue location that’s close by. You don’t want the venue to be too far because it might be too hard for students to get there. My School Dance has a lot of pre-planning checklists once your school is signed up. These are great ways to lay out the different venues you might be considering.
- Theme–This is my favorite part to planning any dance. The theme sets the whole mood. For a Winter Formal dance, many schools are known to do a Winter theme, but you don’t have to stick to that. Check out My School Dance’s Pinterest page! We have so many different theme ideas that are possible to do on any budget.
- Food–A lot of Formal dances have some type of food for the students at the dance. Personally, I don’t think you need to go all out and get a 5 course meal. For my school dances, we didn’t have a full course meal. The school had appetizers for everyone. I felt like this was a great idea because it’s cheaper than paying for a meal that students might not even eat. Plus, if the students are hungry they can just go and grab an appetizer. A lot of students end up going out to eat after the dance anyway. Whatever you plan on doing, come up with a few different food options and make sure it works with your budget. No need to stress about the food, it’s not that big of a deal.
- Entertainment–This is another critical part to having a school dance. Personally, I think you need to set aside a good portion of your budget to find a good DJ or band. If you have good music, students are more than likely going to come back to the next dance. Another thing to think about is having a photographer or photo booth. There are so many companies that have fun pop-up photo booths that aren’t too expensive. Have your group do research to find local artists, DJ’s, photographers, and photo booth companies with their prices and go through it during a meeting.
- Publicity–Promoting your school’s dance is extremely important! You need to make sure you do it correctly so you convince more students that they WANT to attend. A lot of schools just hang up flyers that were made on Word, but you have to do more than that. The cool thing about My School Dance is we already have pre-loaded designs for you to fill in your dance info so you don’t have to design a flyer. We also allow you to share and promote your dance or event all over social media. Social media is the perfect platform to promote any event nowadays especially with teenagers.
I know this is a lot of information, but like I said before planning a dance takes a lot of work and time if you want to do it right. That’s why I encourage all of you to give My School Dance a chance and check out what we have to offer. It will save you so much time and not make this dance planning season a stressful mess!
Sign your school up today if your school is interested in having My School Dance be your dance planner this Winter Formal season!