December 7th, 2018
Happy December everyone! I don’t know about you, but I’m super excited it’s finally the holiday season! If you don’t know me already, I’m Stephanie Hamilton and I am the Media & Marketing Specialist with My School Dance. Now that it’s finally December, I think it’s important to come up with some festive classroom activities for our students to get them in the holiday spirit. Below I listed some of my favorite activities that you can have your students do:
- Give Back– As a classroom, choose a charity or an organization that you can give back to this holiday season. There are so many families in need of basic supplies this Christmas and would greatly appreciate if your class donated food, clothing, gifts, etc. This is a great way to teach your students that Christmas isn’t always about receiving.
- Christmas Random Acts of Kindness– Make one of your assignments where the students have to choose one person in the school whether it be a teacher, a classmate, or a faculty member and they have to do something nice for that person. The student will not only feel good about themselves, but they also will make someone else’s day.
- Star Tree– Draw the outline of a Christmas tree on your wall or on a poster. Hand out cut out stars to all your students and have them write their Christmas wish on their star. Then fill in the tree with all of the stars to create your classroom’s Christmas star tree.
- Christmas Around the World– Randomly separate your students into groups and have them research another country and find out their holiday traditions, facts, and history. Have them present their research to the class and make one of the “traditional” foods from that country to share with everyone.
- Holiday Journal– For my English teachers out there, have students write everyday in their journal for 15 minutes about a specific topic. You could have them do, “What does Christmas mean to me?” or “Best Christmas Experience.” Just any fun, festive topic to get them in the holiday spirit.
- Holiday Cards– Hand out plain Christmas cards to each student in the room and have them write a card to their family or loved ones. It’s a great way to get the students in the mood and to give something special back to their family.
- Christmas Dance– Host a holiday dance for your students. This could be a Christmas theme with all holiday decorations. You can have it be a more casual dance or even make it a formal one. My School Dance can help with the planning and managing process so it’s not a hassle to accomplish! Plus, you can check out My School Dance’s Pinterest Page for some dance planning tips and ideas.
My School Dance is always trying to encourage teachers to get the students working together with more face-to-face interaction especially for the holiday season. Make sure to stay tuned next week for some festive holiday field trip ideas.